Celtic target, and Newcastle United winger, Christian Atsu has been told by his manager Steve Bruce that he can leave St. James’ Park this summer.
News that could reignite the Hoops interest in the Ghanaian winger, having been linked with a move earlier this summer.
As reported by Matthew Raisbeck for BBC Newcastle on Twitter, Bruce said: “I like Christian – the same goes for Muto – trains every day, works tirelessly, a good professional – but in a situation where are they going to play enough? There has to come a time when they go and play football.”
The 28-year-old was not part of the squad on Saturday as Bruce’s side kicked off their Premier League 2020/21 campaign with a 2-0 away victory against West Ham, yet more confirmation of his surplus to requirements status.
Atsu, who has 65 caps for Ghana, is into the last year of his current contract, and as such, may be available at a cut-down price, something that is likely to pique the interest of Bhoys boss Neil Lennon.
Having reportedly (Sports World Ghana) made contact with officials at St James’ earlier in the summer and after coming close to landing the winger last January, Lennon’s fondness of Atsu is there for all to see so could this latest news see a further bid to sign the former Chelsea man?